Tuesday 17 September 2013

The Tests

So,  I understand the reason for the numerical reasoning, even the verbal reasoning, in fact anything with reasoning in it I will happily do the test. However, I have noticed employers sneaking an unnecessary evil into the Grad Scheme application process this being the ‘Personality Test’.

I disagree with this on so many levels (which I try to make seem moral, but which most likely stem from a concern that my personality will be deemed so unbelievably boring I will be dismissed from the process immediately)!

Mainly it’s because personality is such a subjective thing is it not? I may not get on with someone as I think they are boring but others will find them more interesting than anything else on the planet. Alongside this everyone makes such an awfully big deal about ‘uniqueness’ if everyone is so unique and individual how can we be put into a personality box? How do you determine which personality traits fit into what category, in fact how do you categorise personality in any way, shape, or form?!
Surely, “personality” is simply, what makes a person a person. It appears that for personality to be recognised by those around us, it must be consistent, consistent enough to render us predictable; And if we are all predictable then no one will want to hire us anyway!


Therefore, I suggest all employers ditch the ‘Personality’ tests they are stupid and pointless to my mind, and they at least get us all to interview stage so they can see our ‘personality’ for a brief 20 mins. Making a judgement based on our looks, hair colour, clothing, elocution and personality traits all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment